Monday, December 20, 2010

Pot Roast Beef -Slow Cooker


Years ago I had a slow cooker, a very much loved slow cooker. This I know because, when I found it lying discarded on a dusty thrift shop shelf it had already seen better days.

While it was rather interesting to look at - as bright as orange as you have ever seen with a mass of flowers decorating the sides. It really was to small for my family to be practicable, living on a cattle station often meant I had the many mouths of Hungary ringers to feed. It eventually died, put a pot roast on one morning for the nights dinner, then went off to muster a paddock of cattle, came home late to no dinner. Broken!!

I then went for many years not owning another slow cooker. Then earlier this year sense prevailed me once again when I found this lovely on special. I already had a Target gift card & a Fly Buys voucher that I hadn't cashed in yet. So with all those small amounts added up I was able to buy this slow cooker for an outlay of only $29. What's more it's huge!! AND the sleek Stainless Steel is a far cry from my old 1970's orange horror.

So here is the pot roast recipe I tried to cook many years ago when my old slow cooker died.

POT ROASTED BEEF

1.5kg-2kg piece of Topside(remove outer fat)
1/2 cup Tomato Sauce
1 Onion
1Carrot
1 Turnip/parsnip
1tsp. Mixed Herbs
3tsps. Cornflour
1/2 Cup Good Red Wine
(I say good because I won't cook with anything I wouldn't drink. Oh! by the
way I always add a good slosh more!! He! He!)





Wash, peel & slice your carrot & turnip/parsnip
Peel & finely chop your onion
Place you meat in the slow cooker with the veggies surrounding the meat
Sprinkle your herbs over the meat & season with salt & pepper.

Combine 1/4 cup water, tomato Sauce & the slosh of your good red.
Pour over your meat.

Put the lid on the cooker and sloow cook on the low setting for about 8hrs.
Then remove the meat & veg- Set aside.

Mix the cornflour with 1/4 cup water to make a smooth paste. Use as much of this as you need to make a gravy of the thickness you like. (don't forget to check your seasoning)

(this photo is before removing the meat/veg to thicken)

Yummy!! I always serve more veggies on the side.
Caroline xoxo

8 comments:

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

I have a ind of obsession with my slow cooker....I try and change and modify all recipoes to use it!
That roast would smell delish!

Joolz said...

How very odd to be cooking winter meals in December - I am exactly the same! I have a hankering for lamb shanks at the moment!

Ha, I bet your old slow cooker (crock pot) was a Monier brand one? Everyone one had an orange one! Our footy club still has one to keep the gravy hot for the hot chips. It would have to be 35+ years old!

I haven't tried a pot roast of beef like that so will put that in my recipe folder to try. I love one pot wonders!

Cheers - Joolz

Caroline said...

It does smell delish kylie!
Joolz I don't know why I'm still cooking winter meals but I guess it's all this rain. Lamb shanks yum I can eat them any day of the year. Do try the pot roast it's a good one pot meal, although I do usually serve roast veggies & steamed broccoli on the side :-)

Donna said...

Wow! That IS a big one! The food looks Wonderful Caroline!
Happy eating!
hughugs

Cathy said...

Hello Caroline
Just sorting things out before closing down for the holiday so thought I'd pop in and say Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year to you and your family. I'm sure all your dreams will come true in 2011
Take care
Cathy

Peace Thyme said...

I, too, got a slow cooker this year. And I use it about three times a week! Love it. I can cook in the morning and for the rest of the day....not even think about it.

allrecipes.com has about 400 recipes online and I have purchased a cookbook.

Try tapioca or apple crisp. This week I made a meatless spinach sauce for gnocci. I will post pics and the recipe this week.

Elyse said...

Hi I have just stumbled across your blog looking for a slow cooker roast beef and so loved your stories and receipies that I had to join. Thank you for making every day life interesting and meaningful. Keep it up. I am making the pot roast tonight for family. It sounds tasty. Cheers Elyse (born a Queenslander now living in Tasmania)

ebonflow said...

I'm trying something like this tonight, I am about to head out for a couple of hours and I know I will be hungry when I get home and wont want to mess around in the kitchen.
I am commenting mainly because my dad has that exact (I think) same orange with flowers slow cooker you mentioned, it's smallish and round, but a good size for him as he's on his own.
More than likely he bought it from a second hand shop too, either that or he's owned it since before I was born (which was 30yrs ago).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails